Thursday, July 21, 2011

Ode To Harry Potter

I have to write down my Harry Potter thoughts. Just have to. As dumb as it may seem, these books and movies have been a HUGE part of my life. I owe my new love for reading to Harry Potter and J.K Rowling. Before HP I read text books for school and that was it. I fell in love with the Harry Potter series, and in turn fell in love with reading.


I lived on Privet Drive, went to Hogwarts, played Quidditch, went on field trips to Hogsmeade and learned magic with my friends. Do I sound ridiculous? It's TRUE!!! I was 100 percent immersed in this world, and am sad that it is over. I cannot even wait until I can read these books with Easton.

I cried several times during this last movie.
*when Fred dies
*when Lupin and Tonks die
* when Snape dies (full on sobbing at this point...love him or hate him, he's one of THE BEST characters. I loved him.).
* when Harry is getting ready to go fight Voldemort and Hermione says, "I'll go with you..." Their relationship is my favorite of the whole series. Absolute best friends. Love it.
* before Harry "dies" and he is in the forest surrounded by his mom, dad, Sirius and Lupin.

I was one of those haters in the beginning. I thought everyone reading Harry Potter was a nerd. My brother got me the first book for Christmas as a joke because he knew how I felt. Steve and I were working in the locker room at BYU-I during Christmas break and NO one was on campus so nobody came to work out and that meant I had lots of time to read instead of work. I read the first book in a few hours and was completely hooked and obsessed from then on. I've read them several times since.


Harry Potter 7.2 with Shannon


Love it love it love it.

14 comments:

Megan and Greg said...

Amen. That was the best movie. I teared up and got emotional, but no crying. So funny, because a couple I know were whining to me about someone behind them in the movie sobbing uncontrollably the ENTIRE MOVIE and now I read about you and Danielle crying and it just makes me laugh. But I totally get it. It was apart of all of our lives. Right when it finished all I could think was, "I want to watch it again, right now!!!" I love you Emily. How has nobody commented? You always have a million comments!

janet said...

My favorite part (too) was when Hermione offers to go with him. And when I read the forest scene with his parents, I sobbed like a baby, but it didn't make me cry in the movie. Love Snape too... Loved the movie. I was afraid I was going to be disappointed, but I wasn't. So sad it's over.

Did you ever visit Harry Potter land in Florida? I remember talking to you about that a while ago..

Danielle said...

Dude- totally with you on EVERY part you mentioned....except seriously- is there anyone who actually hates Snape after learning the truth? He is the hero of the series. Oh dear. I seriously LOVED it. I'm with you on all of it.

Amy said...

I feel exactly the same way!

WASHINGTON SOUTHWORTHS said...

Haven't seen the movie yet and can't wait!! We're hoping to go this weekend. I had never heard of Harry Potter and was a little anti-Harry to begin with. I even remember picking up the first book at my aunt and uncle's house, reading the first few pages and not getting into at all! Now, especially after re-reading the books, I LOVE the series! :)

Christi said...

I really should read the books! I am glad that you love them. It's always fun to have a good book series that you really get into!

Jenni said...

Umm I'm concerned about seeing the movie, because I just started crying during your post. I AM TICKED that I haven't seen it yet. I feel like an outsider!!!

I ditto EVERYTHING you said. I feel like Harry is one of my best friends. He's been there through my teenage years! And we grew up together! I totally know how you feel. Like, I know how to play quiddich and would be good at it. I know where everything is at in Hogwarts, I know all the spells, etc etc... It truly has become a part of life!

And now that you mention it, that's when I started to like reading too. BEST SERIES EVER. I think I'll start from the beginning. AND YESSSSSSSSSS harry and hermione... PRECIOUS!

Basically I could just repeat everything you said because it's exactly right!!!!

Stephanie Graham said...

Loved this post! We are going to see it tonight. I can't wait. I also use to make fun of Harry Potter and all the fans until I was pregnant with Jackson and had a hard time going to sleep at night. I think John was reading the 5th one at that point, so he started reading out loud in bed to help my mind and stomach settle down and fall asleep.... but then I started waking up in the morning wondering what happened next... so I finally caved in and read them from the beginning and was totally hooked into the whole world as well. They are amazing. I am going to make sure our kids grow up reading them and watching the movies as well!

Emily B said...

I feel the same way about the Twilight series. I sound like a stupid teenage girl when I talk about Twilight, but those books awakened my love for reading.

I love the Harry Potter movies. I'm excited to see the last one. We have all of the books, so I really should just start reading them.

Aimee said...

I feel like I have nothing to look forward to...no more books, no more movies!!!! Sad day!!

Carol and Bruce said...

I can't wait to see it, tomorrow nitht!! I'm so glad you and Jen got me hooked. I will take tissue, thanks for the tip. It's been awhile but I remember feeling sad when I finished the book that it was over for good.

Jill said...

Ahhhhh! Can't wait to see this! There will be tears. I am positive of it.

Matt and Shannon said...

Well, if you are a nerd, then I am a nerd, and we know that can't be possible :) I saw it again Saturday with Matt - even better the second time! Thanks for going with me. Where is that picture of you with the wand we borrowed? :)

Alifinale said...

Will you go with me when you get back? I seriously almost teared up just reading this post. I love how much you love HP. I love it and you and now I need to go see it. I hate that our vacations were not timed properly.